Our latest volunteer interview!
Name: Nigel Smith
Nationality: New Zealander living in Australia
- How did you find out about La Esperanza?
As if by fate, I heard about La Esperanza at 5:30 in the morning in bed, listening to the radio show 'Australia Down Under'. Pauline, our director had phoned up from Nicaragua to talk about the organisation.
I am volunteering for a month. This is my 3rd visit.
- What is your current volunteer role with La Esperanza?
Teaching 3rd graders in the Summer School.
- What has been your best experience working as a volunteer at La Esperanza so far?
When the whole class is paying attention.
- What has been your worst experience working as a volunteer at La Esperanza so far?
None to speak of.
- What do you like most about Nicaragua?
Without a doubt, the apparent happiness of the Nicas and their easygoing attitude towards life, often in the face of adversity.
- What do you like least about Nicaragua?
The grey water in many of Granada's streets - though I was told there is a work in progress to pipe it underground.