Our latest volunteer interview

Name: Aili
Nationality: USA
Age: 20

- How did you find out about La Esperanza? I found out about La Esperanza through a Google search I did looking for volunteer opportunities in Nicaragua. I had been to Nicaragua once in high school and was looking to return. That was two years ago, and now I am back with LEG but working in the office rather than in the schools.

- What is your current volunteer role with La Esperanza? This year I'm working in the office and spend most of my time answering emails from people applying to volunteer or those who are confirmed to come.

- Describe how a day of working looks like. I get into the office a little before 9am and usually answer and send out emails for a few hours before beginning other work. Then I pitch in with whatever tasks need to be done. Today I worked on training a newer volunteer who will be working in the office and helped with a small piece of reorganizing the space, starting with a new batch of volunteer t-shirts that arrived.

- What has been your worst experience working as a volunteer at La Esperanza so far? I don't know about "worst", but the hardest aspect might be understanding that change takes a long time and yet, it's still important to dedicate energy and effort to improving the work done in the office. The flip side is that even small bits of progress feel important.

- What has been your best experience working as a volunteer at La Esperanza so far? My best experience this year has been getting to know the ayudantes better. They're a really fun and wonderful group of people I didn't get to know very well when I taught English in a school with LEG two years ago.

- Have you done some trips during the weekend? I have done very few trips this year in order to save money, but I did get the chance to take one great trip to Costa Rica and have gone to la laguna de apoyo. Did you like them? I loved them! I highly recommend a trip to Tamarindo, CR for those able to go.

- What do you like less about Nicaragua? Catcalling. A Nicaragua without catcalls sounds like a dream to me.

- What do you like most about Nicaragua? The people and pace of life. Priorities are different here than they are in the U.S. and families tend to be very closely knit. I have met so many incredibly kind and generous people here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Technology: Computers in the Centers

Project brings water to Nueva Esperanza

Why we left the classrooms: by Pauline