Ayudante Profile #5: Concepcion

This is the fifth in a series of profiles of our ayudantes. Ayudante means ‘assistant’, and is the name we give to the young people receiving university scholarships through La Esperanza Granada. Alongside their studies, the ayudantes are long term interns who give 5 hours of their time every weekday to support La Esperanza Granada. Our ayudantes are so much more than assistants – they are critical to our success.

In this interview we introduce Concepción de Maria Bermudez. In contrast to the other ayudantes she has been working in the office for two years after her time in the schools. During our discussion, it became clear that as well as being a kind-heart and modest individual, she also has an ambitious and determined personality. We met with her in the office and during her break-time she kindly answered our questions.


Tell us please, when did you first hear about La Esperanza?

During my time at primary school. I had been studying at Elena Arellano, a school which was supported by La Esperanza at the time. When I reached the 6th grade, La Esperanza gave me a scholarship for high school due to my excellent results. I was also able to obtain an internship for my university following my success at high school. Thanks to La Esperanza I’m now studying at the University of Masaya, something I had only ever dreamt of. Due to the high expense of university only a few people are able to study.

What are you currently doing for Esperanza?

I work in the office and I’m responsible for the logistics of the organization. Being incharge of disributing the school materials is challenging, but it has taught me a lot. When I first started working in the office, I was nervous to leave the school, but I have realised that it was an important transition. I have learnt many new things here, primarily how to work with computers.

What did you do before working in the office?

Three years ago, I began to work with the summer classes. It was very important for me because I acquired a lot of knowledge. Then I worked for José de la Cruz Mena for three months. I worked in the kindergarden and we taught young children how to use tablets. I really enjoyed this job and I was sad to leave.

But as we see, you already comfortable in your new job.

Yes. As I said, this job is very useful for me and I enjoy learning and improving my skills.

During these three years you have worked in three different parts of the organization. You must have a broad perspective of the efforts of La Esperanza.

La Esperanza does great work here. They care about those who are not supported by society.  Their work is not only focused on education and materials, but also on the wider society. They help people to reach their goals and dreams. I hope that La Esperanza will be able to work with our society  for a long time.

What do you think about the system within La Esperanza?  

Well, I think Esperanza has a good system. There are so many projects, including high school and internship programs. We support three schools, we  have already built three learning centers and we have improved the environments of the schools in which we work. We always have international volunteers who are a very important part of our organization. In the future, I hope  we improve the use of social media platforms. Due to the importance of the internet nowadays, a weekly presence is necessary.

What do you study at univerity?

I’m studying Clinical Psychology at UCAN University in Masaya.

It seems important and interesting. Could you give us a little more detail?

Psychology is a science which has many different fields. One of those is Clinical Psychology. This study is specialized to prevent personal disorders using a therapeutic approach. We assess and treat people with psychological problems. Our work is diverse; some of us will work as a generalist, some of us will specialize to work with specific groups like children, the elderly, or a group of people who are suffering with specific disorders. We can work in hospitals, in clinics, in consulting rooms or also in private practice.

How do you manage this study alongside your job?

It is difficult, but I’m a motivated person. Alongside my study and my job I also have a lot to do at home. I’m the eldest of two brothers. My mother is bringing us up alone so I must help her as much as I can. She goes to work very early every day, so I’m have to care for my two younger brothers and do the housework. Therefore I have to wake up every day  at about 4 or 5 a.m.

Where do you get all your energy from?

I just like to help people in need and I don’t feel I lose time if I care about them. This gives me motivation and I can gain pleasure from this every day. I also study as a pharmacy assistant and I do an English course too. I love to continually improve my skills. In the future, I would like to study medicine. If you are really motivated to do something you can do anything you want. I also ask God to help me every day, to give me more power. God is very important in my life and alongside my efforts his help is necessery for me. In Nicaragua we have a phrase which we always repeat: those things that we are not able to do, are possible for God.



***********************************************************



 Este es el quinto de una serie de perfiles de nuestros ayudantes. Ayudante significa 'asistente', y es el nombre que damos a los jóvenes que reciben becas universitarias a través de La Esperanza Granada. Junto a sus estudios, los ayudantes son internos a largo plazo que dan 5 horas de su tiempo todos los días de la semana para apoyar La Esperanza Granada. Nuestros ayudantes son mucho más que asistentes - son fundamentales para nuestro éxito.

En esta entrevista presentamos Concepción de María Bermúdez. En contraste con los otros ayudantes ella ha estado trabajando en la oficina durante dos años después de su tiempo en las escuelas. Durante nuestra discusión, quedó claro que, además de ser una persona bondadosa y modesta, también tiene una personalidad ambiciosa y determinada. Nos reunimos con ella en la oficina y durante su tiempo de descanso ella amablemente respondió a nuestras preguntas.

Díganos por favor, ¿cuándo escuchó por primera vez acerca de La Esperanza?

Durante mi tiempo en la escuela primaria. Yo había estado estudiando en Elena Arellano, una escuela que fue apoyada por La Esperanza en ese entonces. Cuando llegué al sexto grado, La Esperanza me dio una beca para la escuela secundaria debido a mis excelentes resultados. También pude obtener una pasantía para mi universidad después de mi éxito en la escuela secundaria. Gracias a La Esperanza estoy estudiando en la Universidad de Masaya, algo con lo que solo había soñado. Debido al alto costo de la universidad sólo unas pocas personas son capaces de estudiar.

¿Qué estás haciendo actualmente por Esperanza?

Trabajo en la oficina y soy responsable de la logística de la organización. Estar encargado de distribuir los materiales de la escuela es un reto, pero me ha enseñado mucho. Cuando empecé a trabajar en la oficina, estaba nerviosa por dejar la escuela, pero me di cuenta de que era una transición importante. He aprendido muchas cosas nuevas aquí, principalmente cómo trabajar con ordenadores.

¿Qué hiciste antes de trabajar en la oficina?

Hace tres años, empecé a trabajar con las clases de verano. Fue muy importante para mí porque adquirí muchos conocimientos. Luego trabajé para José de la Cruz Mena durante tres meses. Trabajé en pre-escolar y enseñamos a los niños pequeños cómo usar tabletas. Realmente disfruté este trabajo y me entristeció dejarlo.

Pero como vemos, ya te sientes cómodo en tu nuevo trabajo.

Sí. Como he dicho, este trabajo es muy útil para mí y me gusta aprender y mejorar mis habilidades.

Durante estos tres años usted ha trabajado en tres partes diferentes de la organización. Usted debe tener una perspectiva amplia de los esfuerzos de La Esperanza.

La Esperanza hace un gran trabajo aquí. Ellos se preocupan por aquellos que no son apoyados por la sociedad. Su trabajo no sólo se centra en la educación y los materiales, sino también en la sociedad en general. Ayudan a las personas a alcanzar sus metas y sueños. Espero que La Esperanza pueda trabajar con nuestra sociedad por mucho tiempo.

¿Qué piensas del sistema dentro de La Esperanza?

Bueno, creo que Esperanza tiene un buen sistema. Hay tantos proyectos, incluyendo la escuela secundaria y programas de pasantías. Apoyamos a tres escuelas, ya hemos construido tres centros de aprendizaje y hemos mejorado los entornos de las escuelas en las que trabajamos. Siempre tenemos voluntarios internacionales que son una parte muy importante de nuestra organización. En el futuro, espero que mejoremos el uso de las plataformas de medios sociales. Debido a la importancia de Internet en la actualidad, una presencia semanal es necesaria.

¿Qué estudias en la universidad?

Estoy estudiando Psicología Clínica en la universidad UCAN en Masaya.

 Parece importante e interesante. ¿Podría darnos un poco más de detalle?

La psicología es una ciencia que tiene muchos campos diferentes. Uno de ellos es la Psicología Clínica. Este estudio está especializado en la prevención de trastornos personales mediante un abordaje terapéutico. Evaluamos y tratamos a las personas con problemas psicológicos. Nuestro trabajo es diverso; Algunos de nosotros trabajaremos como generalistas, algunos de nosotros nos especializaremos para trabajar con grupos específicos como niños, ancianos o un grupo de personas que sufren trastornos específicos. Podemos trabajar en hospitales, clínicas, consultorios o también en consultorios privados.

¿Cómo manejas este estudio junto con tu trabajo?

Es difícil, pero soy una persona motivada. Junto a mi estudio y mi trabajo también tengo mucho que hacer en casa. Soy la mayor de dos hermanos. Mi madre nos trae a solas, así que debo ayudarla tanto como pueda. Ella va a trabajar muy temprano todos los días, así que tengo que cuidar a mis dos hermanos más jóvenes y hacer las tareas domésticas. Por lo tanto, tengo que despertarme todos los días a las 4 o 5 de la mañana.

¿De dónde sacas toda tu energía?



 Simplemente me gusta ayudar a la gente en necesidad y no siento que pierdo tiempo si me preocupo por ellos. Esto me da la motivación y puedo ganar placer de esto todos los días. También estudio como asistente de farmacia y hago un curso de inglés también. Me encanta mejorar continuamente mis habilidades. En el futuro, me gustaría estudiar medicina. Si estás realmente motivado para hacer algo, puedes hacer lo que quieras. También le pido a Dios que me ayude, para darme más poder. Dios es muy importante en mi vida y junto a mis esfuerzos su ayuda es necesaria para mí. En Nicaragua tenemos una frase que siempre repetimos: las cosas que no somos capaces de hacer, son posibles para Dios.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Power of Technology: Computers in the Centers

Why we left the classrooms: by Pauline

Project brings water to Nueva Esperanza